[6bone] Is minimum allocation /64 now?

Dan Reeder dan@reeder.name
Sun, 26 Oct 2003 00:12:53 +1000

I'm not sure where things went awry but i've got this feeling that I've been
included in this "charge per ip" lameness.

The problem is that, perhaps because some of us have had to live under the
strong arm of apnic, that the tendency to want to conserve addressing is a
bit of a habit. Personally whenever I see things like /48s being given to
users left right and center I get reminded of the consequences of Stanford
being given a v4 /8 way back in the early days. It just reeks of
wastefulness. Just because we can, and just because some (antiquated?)
documents say so, does that mean we should?

yes most of us will agree that a /48 being given to a 17 year old for use on
his 3-pc lan, but then why is a /64 acceptable? Is the ammount of addresses
included in a /64 really different to a /48 when it comes to practical
operational use?
To me, the whole problem is a bit of a "chicken and egg" cycle. The rfcs and
powers that be say /64 is the minimum primarily because other rfcs have
dictated addressing schemes, and that the autoconfiguration software doesn't
support network prefixes in greater length than /64. But then the
autoconfiguration software developers say they only support  up to /64
beacuse of rfcs!
Why can't someone bite the bullet and just develop a daemon like radvd that
will simply use pretty much any prefix length thrown at it? I've got a /64
on my lan here. If the advertisement software supported it operationally
speaking it would make absolutely ZERO difference if I changed it to /80...
or /112 or even a /120. And I bet it would make almost zero difference to
the majority of the readers on this list (i'm not really talking about ISP
network operations/addressing here though)

I can't help but cringe at the thought of some geek in a few hundred years
time thinking what clowns we all were by greedily taking /64s and /48s for
our kitchens and bedrooms and living rooms and bathrooms.... and I can't
help but think that there will be an IP shortage somewhere in our solar
system similar to what asia pacific is currently suffering under v4.
But ooooh its 128 bits... it'll never run out, especially with properly
monitored and allocated addressing, right fellas? Oh wait. *grumbles
something about /48s assigned to children*

</rant>

Dan Reeder