[6bone] quagga bgpd importing and advertising debian routes on the fly

Jesper Skriver jesper@skriver.dk
Sun, 23 Nov 2003 19:53:02 +0100

On Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 01:29:16PM -0500, John Fraizer wrote:

> Um, there are a number of ways to achieve your goal but I wonder why you
> want these long prefixes in BGP at all?  Run an *IGP* in your network and
> carry "connected" routes into IGP.  BGP == *BORDER* Gateway Protocol.

It's never a good idea to carry "customer" routes in your IGP, you want
your IGP to be stable, so in a sound design it's only used to carry
loopback addresses, which are used for BGP next-hop, and everything else
is carried in (internal) BGP. If it's a more specific route that should
not be advertised outside the AS, then mark it with no-export.

/Jesper