[6bone] Fwd: Protocol Action: Delegation of E.F.F.3.IP6.ARPA to BCP

Bob Fink bob@thefinks.com
Fri, 30 May 2003 19:46:34 -0700

6bone Folk,

As you can see from the IESG announcement just circulated to the list, the
draft delegating the reverse path for E.F.F.3.IP6.ARPA to the 6bone has
been approved as a BCP.

Now we (Randy Bush, myself and the folks that will set up the reverse path
servers) are working to implement the decision approved in the BCP.

So, please stay tuned for announcement of plans, but appreciate it may be a
bit of delay to get details worked out.

I would like to thank Randy for all his help in this effort... it has been
invaluable!

Thanks,

Bob

===
>The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Delegation of
>E.F.F.3.IP6.ARPA' <draft-ymbk-6bone-arpa-delegation-01.txt> as a BCP.
>
>This has been reviewed in the IETF but is not the product of an IETF
>Working Group. The IESG contact persons are Thomas Narten and Erik
>Nordmark.
>

>Technical Summary
>
>The 6bone, whose address space was allocated by RFC 2471, has
>provided a network for IPv6 experimentation for numerous purposes
>for seven years. Up to the present time, reverse lookups for 6bone
>addresses in the DNS have been accomplished through IP6.INT. It is
>now important that the thousands of 6bone users be able to update
>their IPv6 software to use IP6.ARPA as defined in RFC 3152.
>
>Although the 6bone has a limited life, and a phaseout plan is being
>discussed at the IETF at this time, there is likely to be 2.5 to
>3.5 more years of operation. During this remaining 6bone lifetime
>IP6.ARPA reverse lookup services for the 3ffe::/16 address space
>are required. This document requests that the IANA delegate the
>E.F.F.3.IP6.ARPA domain to the 6bone as will be described in
>instructions to be provided by the IAB.
>
>Working Group Summary
>
>This was not a WG document, but has been discussed on various
>mailing lists (e.g., 6bone, v6ops, dnsops). No issues were raised
>during the IETF Last Call.
>
>Protocol Quality
>
>This document has been reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten.

-end