[6bone] RE: [ipv6-wg@ripe.net] Update on IPv6 filter recommendation

Tim Chown tjc@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri, 16 May 2003 14:43:46 +0100

On Fri, May 16, 2003 at 03:35:41PM +0200, Gert Doering wrote:

> The Internet is an *Inter*network.  It's about connecting all of it
> together, not building small splinter networks that have no connectivity.
> There is currently no provision in the IPv6 policy for people that just
> want some local/VPN connectivity and no global routing.  Maybe that needs
> changing as well.  (Site-locals had some potential for "local" things,
> but they are dead, as far as I understand).  David, could you put that
> on your list of things to consider?

Absolutely, indeed if we're deprecating site locals, and its associated
/10 prefix, we should probably be able to get /32 size globally unique
prefixes that can be used in otherwise disconnected networks?  (e.g. a large
sensor network used by a utility provider)   This seems a natural
consequence of such a deprecation.

Tim