[6bone] (OT but Relevant) Recent spammer tactics - BGP Hijacking

David Kessens david@IPRG.nokia.com
Wed, 14 May 2003 07:00:18 -0700

Andy,

On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 07:37:46AM +0100, Andy Furnell wrote:
> On Sat, May 10, 2003 at 12:43:38PM +0200, Marc Hultquist wrote:
> >

> > I have to Agree with John on this Matter. IF the providers would be
> > good enough to Filter the customers responsability, then there would
> > not be a problem now would there?
> >

> This is a nice idea, but given that there's no IPv6 routing registry,
> the administrative overhead of manually generating filters can get
> seriously cumbersome (especially given that IPv6 efforts for most
> providers still seem to be done on a part-time basis).

This is not entirely true. The 6bone registry does contain routing
information.

You can build filters using the 'prefix:' and 'origin:' attributes of
the 6bone registry (note that multiple prefixes are allowed in the
'prefix:' attribute).

However, just as with the ipv4 routing registry, this might not be a
good idea to do with peers because of the absence of a netpolice
department that enforces (correct) registrations in the registry (you
should be able to enforce consistent data for your customers though).

David K.
---