[6bone] (OT but Relevant) Recent spammer tactics - BGP Hijacking

Andy Furnell andy@ipng.org.uk
Mon, 12 May 2003 07:37:46 +0100

On Sat, May 10, 2003 at 12:43:38PM +0200, Marc Hultquist wrote:

> I have to Agree with John on this Matter. IF the providers would be
> good enough to Filter the customers responsability, then there would
> not be a problem now would there?

This is a nice idea, but given that there's no IPv6 routing registry,
the administrative overhead of manually generating filters can get
seriously cumbersome (especially given that IPv6 efforts for most
providers still seem to be done on a part-time basis). Granted any AS
transiting another should apply suitable filters, but filtering peering
routes and/or those heard from transit upstreams with suitable
granularity to prevent BGP hijacking is a problem when the
infrastructure is not in place do automate the process.

Just my 2c :)

Andy Furnell
andy@ipng.org.uk