[6bone] report of 6bone planning BOF

Rob Evans rhe@nosc.ja.net
Thu, 20 Mar 2003 04:52:32 +0000

> What I had in mind when I made the comment at yesterday's meeting that Rob
> was referring to, was simply a note to request that IANA not re-allocate
> 3ffe until they *really* have to (i.e. there's nothing else left, or 3ffe is
> specifically useful for something).

In the tradition of "send text," I was only thinking of something like
the following:

    When the 6bone address space is reclaimed and returned to the IANA,
    it is expected that many network operators will filter it on their
    borders to ensure it is not misused.

    There is experience from the IPv4 world that such filters may not be
    removed promptly should this address space be reallocated, and it is
    recommended that the IANA bears this in mind before reallocating
    it in a manner that would require it to be routed globally within
    the current internet architecture.

Is that contentious/disagreeable?  "[...] within the current internet
architecture" may not be needed.

Cheers,
Rob