[6bone] report of 6bone planning BOF

Rob Evans rhe@nosc.ja.net
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 23:36:48 +0000

> There is nothing one can do against bad admins except hitting them
> quite hard with a very big cluestick.

Indeed, but documenting the possible issue would not be harmful, would
it?  If for some reason a prefix was needed that is would not be
globally routable, this might then bubble straight to the top...

> One solution to this, and some other problems could be solved
> by having a seperate 'blacklist BGP' which allows to block
> certain prefixes and other stuff from a central repository.

I think one of the laws of the internet is that any routing-related
mailing list eventually discusses the possibilities of centrally
managed blackhole lists...

> Currently most people, with clue, will also be filtering IPv6
> routes. See http://www.space.net/~gert/RIPE/ipv6-filters.html
> If an admin doesn't update those, then you already have that
> problem.

Right, although with any luck, there will be several orders of
magnitude more IPv6 network operators by the time that 3FFE::/16
comes around of reuse (if it ever does), and statistics suggest
that as well as many more clueful admins, there will be many more
clueless admins.

Of course, we may well have a new addressing and routing paradigm
by that time too. :)

Rob