[6bone] report of 6bone planning BOF

Jeroen Massar jeroen@unfix.org
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 22:41:53 +0100

Rob Evans wrote:

> > The 6bone phaseout proposal was discussed with a strong
> consensus reached
> > on a pTLA allocation cutoff date of Jan 1, 2004 and a 6bone
> turn off date
> > of June 6, 2006 (6/6/6).
>
> Just a quick comment on something that was brought up yesterday.
>
> The current draft recommends that IANA not reallocate
> 3FFE::/16 for two
> years from 6/6/06.  On that date, network operators are likely to put
> filters on that will block routing for the 6bone prefixes (as may be
> considered operationally sound), and there is the danger we end up in
> the same position as the IPv4 world is currently experiencing with
> 69.0.0.0/8 (see the NANOG archives if you're unfamiliar with this
> problem).  A note regarding the future global routability of 3FFE::/16
> might be a worthwhile addition, do others agree?

There is nothing one can do against bad admins except hitting them
quite hard with a very big cluestick. It's the same for the fact
that you will still see Code Red and other worms flying around.
Some people just don't do their job correctly or good.

One solution to this, and some other problems could be solved
by having a seperate 'blacklist BGP' which allows to block
certain prefixes and other stuff from a central repository.
Currently most people, with clue, will also be filtering IPv6
routes. See http://www.space.net/~gert/RIPE/ipv6-filters.html
If an admin doesn't update those, then you already have that
problem. Same would go if there was a central repository but
that repository would be out of sync.

Checking my Distributed Looking Glass I notice that some ISP's
still provide transit for any prefix. And a rule like the one
proposed in http://ip6.de.easynet.net/ipv6-minimum-peering.txt
isn't being implemented by most ISP's either, except for the
ones that really do like to do a good job.

I also still see 3ffe:1f00::/24 ghosted, for almost a month now.
Saying that I expect some things, like updating filters, simply
can't be clued into some people who are simply too lazy to do it.
Some people apparently don't care for the global network.

Also note that everybody has the freedom to block/reject everything
they want. It is their network.

Greets,
 Jeroen