[6bone] report of 6bone planning BOF

Rob Evans rhe@nosc.ja.net
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 19:57:51 +0000

Hi Bob,

> The 6bone phaseout proposal was discussed with a strong consensus reached
> on a pTLA allocation cutoff date of Jan 1, 2004 and a 6bone turn off date
> of June 6, 2006 (6/6/6).

Just a quick comment on something that was brought up yesterday.

The current draft recommends that IANA not reallocate 3FFE::/16 for two
years from 6/6/06.  On that date, network operators are likely to put
filters on that will block routing for the 6bone prefixes (as may be
considered operationally sound), and there is the danger we end up in
the same position as the IPv4 world is currently experiencing with
69.0.0.0/8 (see the NANOG archives if you're unfamiliar with this
problem).  A note regarding the future global routability of 3FFE::/16
might be a worthwhile addition, do others agree?

Regards,
Rob