[6bone] report of 6bone planning BOF

Bob Fink bob@thefinks.com
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 10:35:08 -0800

6bone Folk,

The 6bone planning issues BOF on Tuesday (at the IETF in San Francisco)
covered two main topics.

	the RIR 6bone registry integration proposal and
	the 6bone phaseout planning proposal

The RIR 6bone registry integration proposal, under discussion for about 12
months, has concluded with the RIRs (and Bob) agreeing that we should not
carry on any further with the proposal. This is in light of:
  6bone and RIR community comments,
  a concrete planning process underway to phaseout the 6bone,
  a great reduction in the pTLA allocation rate,
  an increase in the production prefix allocation rate, and
  the ability to get experimental IPv6 addresses from the RIRs.

Thus the 6bone would continue to manage its own allocation process until
the planned phaseout dates (whatever they turn out to be in the RFC).

Also, the RIRs agreed that the 6bone should be delegated the control over
e.f.f.3.ip6.arpa. Randy Bush wanted this to be formalized by an RFC and Bob
Fink will pursue this immediately.

Marc Blanchet and David Kessens are working on the technical details of the
e.f.f.3.ip6.arpa support already, with support of Bill Manning, and will
provide a report soon to the list on how the service will be provided.

The 6bone phaseout proposal was discussed with a strong consensus reached
on a pTLA allocation cutoff date of Jan 1, 2004 and a 6bone turn off date
of June 6, 2006 (6/6/6).

I will circulate an updated version of the draft soon, but would like any
comments on the dates above and anything else you might want to say about
the current draft. I think we should close on this and try to move it to
Informational RFC status as quickly as possible.

Thanks to Jordi Palet for chairing the BOF, and Bob Hinden for sharing the
load of presenting.

Also, my many thanks to the RIR management folks that have worked with me
on the proposal for the last year, and helped to forge a good relationship
and understanding with the 6bone community.

Thanks,

Bob