[6bone] How to specify an IPv6 DNS server on the IPv6-only host

Stewart Tansley stansley@microsoft.com
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 20:05:07 -0800

> >  Is it possible to specify an IPv6 DNS server on windows system?
(XP, 2000 or .Net)

> Neither solaris8 nor windows supports an IPv6 transport DNS query.

Not true, the forthcoming Windows Server 2003's DNS client and server
supports it -- so, to enable DNS transport over IPv6:

	dnscmd /Config /EnableIPv6 1

To view the current state:

	dnscmd /Info /EnableIPv6

I don't think there is a GUI equivalent to these commands available at
this time though.

This command is documented in the online help. Search on "dnscmd ipv6"
to get directly to it in the first hit.

To get the Windows Server 2003 beta:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/preview/obtaining.mspx

As for clients, I know that Windows CE .NET 4.1 supports it, but I'd
have to check for Windows XP and Windows XP Embedded.

Stewart Tansley
http://www.microsoft.com/embedded
http://www.microsoft.com/ipv6