[6bone] Getting ISPs to use IPv6

Michel Py michel@arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 16:07:54 -0800

> Michael Sturtz wrote:
> The company I work for has a class B IPv4 portable address block.
> If I am understanding ARIN's rules they will not allocate IPv6
> address space to an end user organization.

Correct, nor will RIPE, APNIC not LATNIC.

> I personally would like to get a portable (globally routable)
> address block for my own personal use

This does not look it is going to happen any time soon.

> however it would seem that it would spur IPv6 adoption if end
> users could get portable address space on their own without
> being dependant on an ISP.

It might happen later on as a loosening of multihoming assignment
policies, but I would not count on it before separation between
identifier and locator is achieved. I regret to report that multihoming
solutions that could be used on singlehomed sites for the sole purpose
of address portability are likely to limit the initial usage to
multihomers.

Michel.