[6bone] v6 and ADSL

Jochen Friedrich jochen@scram.de
Wed, 23 Jul 2003 16:42:04 +0200 (CEST)

Hi Dan,

> I guess I should clarify what I'm wanting to do. I'm planning on obtaining a
> /48 from a Tier1 isp here in Australia, then divde that both into point to
> point links for our client's dsl tails, and /64 or /80 allocations for the
> clients own internal use.

That's what we currently do here at scram (with the exception that we
assign one or more /64 to our members, which are the "clients" in our
case) ;-). This is currently running on a Linux box with sitX interfaces.
The clients with dynamic IPv4 addresses have a script similar to a DynDNS
script which updates the tunnel endpoint with the new IPv4 address.

One thing to take care about is to set the correct MTU for the tunnel
interface. Most DSL providers just drop big packets without replying with
an ICMP error message, so if you use the standard MTU, the tunnel will
turn into a black hole for your DSL customers.

--jochen