[6bone] 6bone phaseout planning announcement

Dan Reeder dan@reeder.name
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 16:19:23 +1000

"In other words, I don't think we should kill the 6bone before it has become
the experimental environment for mainstream ISPs, not only for the very
small set it represents today."

Originally I was going to say something along the lines of "Ah, but that is
the crux of the matter. My emails last week regarding the availability of
2002:: gateways yells at the fact that most ISPs in the world DON'T provide
any sort of v6 connectivity, commercial or otherwise, and as such the
greater their contact with v6 technologies the better."

But instead of coming to the conclusion that 3ffe should stay for
experimentation purposes and encouraging deployment, I then had the idea
that perhaps it is of a detriment to the adoption of v6 technologies on a
commercial basis; not only would ISPs have two protocols to deal with, but
one of those protocols would/should (that's debatable though) need to be
connected to two backbones. To me, being a young network admin yet trying to
imagine what someone in 2010 would think of today's occurrences, the thought
of having to deal with v6 at this point in time just reeks of an exercise in
needless complexity, not to mention a feeling of "let's leave it to the
university folk to sort it out".

Is there any point in having a space reserved for
experimentation/education?? Why should people be screaming bloody murder in
the near future, just because 3ffe is about to be decommissioned? Isn't it
all in the lead up to 2001:: connectivity anyway?
With regards to he 2001:: address space and operations of the v6 internet as
we know it at this point in time, I can't think of any harm that could come
about as a result of some ISP in "Neverland" having a go. Granted, the
circumstances are different, but the deployment of v4 and the operations of
the net over the last 20-odd years have been relatively fine, have they not?
Haven't we already got tools and administrative powers to curb any sort of
odd/abnormal/detrimental behaviour that may happen as a result of the world
+ dog joining up? (Feel free to debunk me on these points btw)

The sooner 3ffe:: is killed the better, I say. Force/encourage the RIRs to
offer netblocks *cheaply*.  Make the transition from v4 to v6 as simple as
possible, cheap as possible, and as logical as possible. Cowboy hats and
bandwagons aside, I know I speak for many people reading this list when I
say that I'll be damned if I have learnt (and continue to learn) what there
is to know about v6 only to have a few beers with some friends in 2010
reminiscing (read crying into my pint) about the flop that was IPv6.

Gratefully donating my AU$0.022 (inc. GST) to the conversation,
Dan Reeder