[6bone] 6bone phaseout planning announcement

Michel Py michel@arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Sun, 12 Jan 2003 19:43:48 -0800

>> Michel Py wrote:
>> - I agree with Jordi here that 6 months before the sunset seems
>> a reasonable limit to me to allocate new pTLAs.

> Ronald van der Pol wrote:
> I like the phases in Bob's draft. We all know what will happen.
> On July 1, 2004 people will start screaming that 6bone allocations
> have "suddenly stopped". It will take some time before people
> start realizing that the 6bone is something that will end.
> Hopefully, with the 2004 phase it will be easier to completely end
> the 6bone in 2006.

There is some truth to that :-)

I will support the text with whatever date we come up with, but the
point I am trying to make is:

It's not because *we* might consider that we have learned all we
possibly could from the 6bone that we must generalize it. Most potential
ISPs or pTLAs have not even begun to look at IPv6 because there is no
money to make in it and no demand. Adoption of v6 is a lot longer than
anticipated 6 years ago, and the 6bone still is a niche same as IPv6.

In other words, I don't think we should kill the 6bone before it has
become the experimental environment for mainstream ISPs, not only for
the very small set it represents today.

Michel.