[6bone] 6bone phaseout planning announcement

Pekka Savola pekkas@netcore.fi
Sun, 12 Jan 2003 16:51:58 +0200 (EET)

On Sun, 12 Jan 2003, Ronald van der Pol wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 21:43:07 -0800, Michel Py wrote:
> > > Jordi Palet Martinez wrote:
> > > 3) It seems to me that we must allocate pTLAs until January 1st
> > > 2006 (6 months can still do a lot for "last minute" newcomers).
> >
> > - I agree with Jordi here that 6 months before the sunset seems a reasonable limit to me to allocate new pTLAs.
>
> I like the phases in Bob's draft. We all know what will happen. On July 1,
> 2004 people will start screaming that 6bone allocations have "suddenly
> stopped". It will take some time before people start realizing that
> the 6bone is something that will end. Hopefully, with the 2004 phase
> it will be easier to completely end the 6bone in 2006.

Screaming?  Uh-oh.  IPv6 should be commonplace enough then (it's getting
there now..).  And besides, the rate of pTLA's has decreased significantly
because of the more liberal RIR sTLA policies.  Earlier, ISP's just got
6bone addresses because it was easier.  Now they don't bother (in most
cases) unless they didn't qualify RIR criteria.

My prediction is that by Q2/2004 pretty much nobody even cares about 6bone
(I hope so!), and by 2006 it is almost completely forgotten.

Thus I'd be OK with an even quicker phaseout plan.