[6bone] notice of intent to reclaim unused pTLAs, comment period closes 17 January 2003

Bill Manning bmanning@ISI.EDU
Sat, 4 Jan 2003 18:35:18 -0800 (PST)

% >         There have been, over the past 15 years, a number of instances
% >         where due to funding, internal direction, etc. organizations will
% >         place R&E and development projects on hold for months or years.
% >
% >         This proposal, as I understand it) will remove delegations
% >         without recourse.  Seems a bit heavy-handed to me, esp. given
% >         the large number of other choices available.
%
% Good points, though the "without recourse" is not so. Several have
% contacted me already with some reason or another as to why they aren't up
% at the moment, and my position is to let them make a proposal to the list
% as to what and when they intend to do. Let's wait to see what folks say.

	Hum. from my recollection, one entity with 3ffe space closed
	its development facility for two years before restarting it.
	In that period of time, you could not find -anyone- who would
	claim to speak authoritatively for the delegation.

	and unless all pTLA holders agree to be bound by RFC 2772 guidelines,
	they will have reason to complain (legally?) that their delegations
	are being withdrawn unfairly.  (while it may not happen, in these
	litigious days, it is a distinct possibility)

	I hope that you can get all the effected parties to respond, on the
	list, with the queries made and potential responses/proposals.

--bill