[6bone] notice of intent to reclaim unused pTLAs, comment period closes 17 January 2003

Bill Manning bmanning@ISI.EDU
Sat, 4 Jan 2003 18:27:17 -0800 (PST)

% Bill,
%
% At 02:07 AM 1/4/2003 -0800, Bill Manning wrote:
% >...     For a number of pTLA holders, the delegations were made
% >         well prior to RFC 2772 being released. Historically,
% >         delegations (of any sort, including IPv4) were only bound
% >         by the rules in effect when the delegations were made.
% >
% >         There have been, over the past 15 years, a number of instances
% >         where due to funding, internal direction, etc. organizations will
% >         place R&E and development projects on hold for months or years.
% >
% >         This proposal, as I understand it) will remove delegations
% >         without recourse.  Seems a bit heavy-handed to me, esp. given
% >         the large number of other choices available.
%
% Good points, though the "without recourse" is not so. Several have
% contacted me already with some reason or another as to why they aren't up
% at the moment, and my position is to let them make a proposal to the list
% as to what and when they intend to do. Let's wait to see what folks say.
%
% By the way, what did you mean when you say "other choices available"?
% Thanks,

	cleaning up the 6bone delegations is a noble and worthwhile
	effort, however the effect of just "abandoning in place"
	is almost simpler.  If it was up to me, I'd stop doing delegations
	in the 3ffe:: space for the next 10 years. Then set up an
	periodic/quarterly "check", perhaps with the normal cidr reports to see
	which prefixes are still being used/announced.  Encourage the
	RIRs to "remind" requestors of IPv6 space that they should
	withdraw 3ffe:: entries when the 2001:: entries are being used.
	Follow up in four/five years and fine out why there are still 3ffe::
	prefixes in use.

	Persuade those that hold 3ffe:: space to consider moving the
	3ffe:: addresses to only those delegations/assignments that reflect
	IPv6 tunnels over IPv4 infrastructure. (a pet project of mine)

	wrt other choices, here are a couple:

		2002:: space
		"glbly unique" site locals
		link-local
		RIR - 2001:: space

	It is my humble opinon that its not worth the amount of effort that
	is being spent to kill off folk using 3ffe:: space. That energy could
	be better spent in other ways.

--bill