[6bone] Getting ISPs to use IPv6

Michael Sturtz Michael.Sturtz@paccar.com
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 15:01:09 -0800

I did check and although they seem to be currently waiving the fees until
12/31/03 that is only temporary and not long enough to spur increased
investment.  The lowest fee they have is 2,500 per year for a standard /32
address space.  Also, they will not (from what I can tell) allocate address
space to non-ISPs i.e. end user organizations such as mine so, we must wait
until we can get it some other way.  The company I work for has a class B
IPv4 portable address block.  If I am understanding ARIN's rules they will
not allocate IPv6 address space to an end user organization.  I personally
would like to get a portable (globally routable) address block for my own
personal use however there doesn't seem any way to do this easily.  I will
admit that I am somewhat ignorant of how this whole process works however it
would seem that it would spur IPv6 adoption if end users could get portable
address space on their own without being dependant on an ISP.  Please
correct me if I am wrong.  Thanks Bill for responding!
Thanks,
Michael Sturtz