[6bone] Getting ISPs to use IPv6

Colin Faber cfaber@fpsn.net
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 15:56:34 -0700

Bill Manning wrote:

> % investments in moving to IPv6.  Unfortunately, in the US ARIN seems to be
> % wanting to use the same IPv4 mentality with distributing V6 blocks of
> % addresses.  We (I mean the internet community.) should encourage the liberal
> % distribution of v6 addresses to as many ISPs as possible by reducing the
> % cost and required justifications.
>
>         Have you checked recently on ARIN delegation policy wrt
>         V6 delegations?  I didn;t think so.
>
>         The kicker is not address availablity.  The next big hurdle
>         is CASH.  The opex/capex costs of providing IPv6 -WITHOUT-
>         impacting the razor-thin margins that IPv4 demands (see SLA)
>         are a bit high for most major ISPs.

I would also like to point out that much of the existing software
out there which drives the current internet market place does not
yet support, or fully support the IPv6 address space. Of that most
of the IPv4 supported software patched for IPv6 is still in an alpha
or beta quality code state and is not yet ready for mission critical
deployment.

One other thing to keep in mind is that IPv4 wasn't rolled out
over night and the ISPs didn't adopt it because it was the "neat"
or "new" technology to use. They adopted it because it is what the
consumer demanded.

Michael be patient, IPv6 is coming however it's not going to happen
over night.

Should you really be interested in supporting "the cause" so to
speak I suggest you contact companies such as Microsoft which are
showing signs they are wavering from supporting the standard. Remind
them that it's currently a lot cheaper to deploy it in the early
stages than later on as things get more complicated.