[6bone] pTLA request by NECTEC-TH - review closes 10 March 2003

Gert Doering gert@space.net
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 01:35:26 +0100

Hi,

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 09:13:39AM +1000, Dan Reeder wrote:
> That raises the question: are we able to force the RIRs to offer globally
> routable FREE production space for the purposes of testing? If not, would
> there be any incentive for carriers / ISPs to offer their clients free
> testing space?

As soon as IPv6 connectivity is a commodity item (hopefully soon) this
point seems moot to me.  If you just can connect to any upstream of your
choice and get IPv6 in addition to IPv4 (and as it's a /48 by default,
which is "large enough for even extensive tests") I don't see much need
for special "test address space".

(Besides this there *is* a policy in RIPE and APNIC land that you can
get address space for testing from them. The duration is limited, and
you need a good reason, but it's there).

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  57147 (56285)

SpaceNet AG                 Mail: netmaster@Space.Net
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14   Tel : +49-89-32356-0
80807 Muenchen              Fax : +49-89-32356-299