[6bone] 6bone transitions planning BOF in San Francisco

Bob Fink bob@thefinks.com
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 14:01:50 -0800

6bone Folk,

Looks like we are on the official agenda for a one hour 6bone transition
planning BOF on Tuesday, March 18, 1700-1800 Afternoon Sessions IV.

Note that we are somewhat constrained to the agenda below as the 6bone
doesn't fit the IETF model for a BOF unless there is some new activity.
I.e., we aren't being given this hour to discuss operational problems,
changes to our operating procedures, etc., rather to discuss the plan for
our transitions.

The agenda I provided to the IESG for approval, and the one that was
accepted, is:

===
BOF FULL NAME: 6bone Transitions Planning (6bone)

AREA: Operations - Randy Bush

CHAIR: Jordi Palet Martinez <jordi.palet@consulintel.es>

FULL DESCRIPTION:

The 6bone, the IPv6 testbed network developed under the aegis of the IETF
in 1996, is now discussing two important transition topics that need to be
discussed further in a session at IETF-56. The transfer of 6bone address
management responsibilities to RIRs has been under discussion during 2002
and there now needs to be some closure on the topic. An open meeting at
IETF-56 will facilitate this.  Also, the planning for the phaseout of the
6bone started in January 2003 and thus needs its first open discussion at
IETF-56.

AGENDA:

Status and discussion of the proposal for the "transfer of 6bone address
management responsibilities to RIRs" - Bob Fink and appropriate RIR folk,
30 minutes
<http://www.6bone.net/ngtrans/IETF-54-Yokohama/6bone-registry.pdf>

Presentation of the 6bone phaseout plan - Bob Hinden, 10 mins
<http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-fink-6bone-phaseout-00.txt>

Discussion of the 6bone phaseout plan - 20 mins
===

My thanks to Jordi for chairing and Bob Hinden for presenting on phaseout
planning as the IESG wanted me to not be the chair and the only speaker.

Thanks,

Bob