[6bone] ip6.arpa ...

Andrei Robachevsky andrei@ripe.net
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 12:26:34 +0100

Dear all,

Some points to clarify and defend the RIRs proposal.

Robert Kiessling wrote:
> Bill Manning <bmanning@ISI.EDU> writes:
>

>>	as I stated these are gripes.  the nut of the issue is that
>>	RIPE is proposing to edit/change the zone data between
>>	the 3ffe:: delegations as seen from ip6.int  and ip6.arpa
>>
>>	This is fatally flawed, as some folks will get one set of
>>	answers while others will get distinctly different answers
>>	to the same questions, based on the age of the resolver that
>>	is in their endsystems.
>

> Could you please indicate which changes you mean? In the RIR proposal,
> I only find:
>
> | The delegation for e.f.f.3.ip6.arpa is made by IANA to one of the
> | RIRs. Zone information for this space is produced by copying the
> | existing delegations in the e.f.f.3.ip6.int zone. Additional check is
> | done to ensure that the servers corresponding to the NS RR are also
> | authoritative in .arpa space. Zone information is updated whenever
> | changes are detected in the e.f.f.3.ip6.int zone.

Our goal here is to reduce lameness in the zone. If people feel that the
goal of making data in both zones identical overweights, lameness check
can be removed.

> So the only change is to remove non-responsive name servers. And the
> net effect of this is that queries get an earlier negative reply, but
> not "different answers".
>
> | 	And the simplist,
> | 	fastest way to get e.f.f.3.ip6.arpa. out the door is to have
> |	the IANA delegate that point to -exactly- the same server
> |	suite that hosts the e.f.f.3.ip6.int delegation.

We promised and developed a pragmatic solution, a simple hack, if you
want. Provided that many 6bone related issues are still on the table
this seems to be a solution with a narrow scope and without implications
- just to solve the particular problem.

> Surely the fastest way at the moment it for the RIRs to provide this
> information, since the address space is already delegated to them.

The RIRs have the prototype running. We are happy to start working with
Bill regarding the zone transfers. This should not take long as I see no
real technical issues here.