[6bone] ip6.arpa ...

Robert Kiessling Robert.Kiessling@de.easynet.net
20 Feb 2003 21:04:23 +0000

Bill Manning <bmanning@ISI.EDU> writes:

> 	as I stated these are gripes.  the nut of the issue is that
> 	RIPE is proposing to edit/change the zone data between
> 	the 3ffe:: delegations as seen from ip6.int  and ip6.arpa
>
> 	This is fatally flawed, as some folks will get one set of
> 	answers while others will get distinctly different answers
> 	to the same questions, based on the age of the resolver that
> 	is in their endsystems.

Could you please indicate which changes you mean? In the RIR proposal,
I only find:

| The delegation for e.f.f.3.ip6.arpa is made by IANA to one of the
| RIRs. Zone information for this space is produced by copying the
| existing delegations in the e.f.f.3.ip6.int zone. Additional check is
| done to ensure that the servers corresponding to the NS RR are also
| authoritative in .arpa space. Zone information is updated whenever
| changes are detected in the e.f.f.3.ip6.int zone.

So the only change is to remove non-responsive name servers. And the
net effect of this is that queries get an earlier negative reply, but
not "different answers".

| 	And the simplist,
| 	fastest way to get e.f.f.3.ip6.arpa. out the door is to have
|	the IANA delegate that point to -exactly- the same server
|	suite that hosts the e.f.f.3.ip6.int delegation.

Surely the fastest way at the moment it for the RIRs to provide this
information, since the address space is already delegated to them.

Robert