[6bone] RE: Content of 6bone digest, Vol 1 #446

Jonathan Guthrie jguthrie@brokersys.com
Mon, 22 Dec 2003 20:56:01 -0600

On Mon, Dec 22, 2003 at 08:00:59PM -0500, Chuck Yerkes wrote:
> And have far more motivation (and less address space).

Actually, since the free IPv4 blocks are allocated on an on-demand
basis, that isn't true.  Everybody pulls IPv4 addresses out of the same
pool of unallocated addresses.

> I do regularly ask my broadband and Cellular provider when I get
> IPv6 addresses.  I've gotten others too as well.  So when PacBell
> says nobody brings it up, they lie.

So you've gotten perhaps 20 people to ask.  SBC has perhaps 10 million
customers.  To a first order approximation, nobody does bring it up.

I have had other problems with SBC and I know that they really aren't
able to handle anything but mass market "any color you want, as long
as it's black" service.  You're probably doomed to disappointement if
you're trying to convince SBC to do anything "leading edge".

> > before IPv4 goes away in the backbone.  Makes for an interesting
> > conversation with my friends who are still working over at UUNET and
> > AOL.

> I think the backbone is exactly where IPv4 CAN go away most easily.

I've got $100 US in my pocket that says that there will be at least one
"backbone" provider with native IPv4 service 30 years from now.  (I
would have said 100 years from now, but it's unlikely in the extreme
that I'll live long enough to collect on that bet.)  Even if IPv6 is
adopted vastly faster than I expect, IPv4 will likely not go away
within the lifetimes of any of the participants here.  Perhaps never.

> Me?  My pet desire is to see a tiny IPv6 stack that could easily
> be used in embedded devices (< 1MB of RAM).

Don't want much, do you.  The IPv6 module I use on my computers is 280k
long.  IPv4 takes maybe 1/10th that much.  In fact, that, along with a
complete lack of multihoming solutions unless you're a TLA, is what
prevents the widespread adoption of IPv6.

Here's a question:  What end-user routers for DSL, cablemodem, or ISDN
access support IPv6?  If you want IPv6 to be adopted in North America,
make that list longer.
--
Jonathan Guthrie (jguthrie@brokersys.com)
Sto pro veritate