[6bone] RE: Content of 6bone digest, Vol 1 #446

Chuck Yerkes 6bone@mailman.isi.edu
Mon, 22 Dec 2003 20:00:59 -0500

Quoting Douglas Wade Needham (cinnion@ka8zrt.com):
> Quoting Pim van Pelt (pim@ipng.nl):
> > Please refrain from sending HTML mail to this mailinglist. Many people
> > cannot read that type of message.
>
> I agree 1M percent.  I either have to bring up such a message as text
> and try to puzzle my way through the excuse for HTML which most

I know I skipped it :)

> > As for the Pentagon saying 2008; Not the whole world follows American
> > standards -- The far east and Europe are far ahead of the Americas when
> > it comes to IPv6 deployment.

And have far more motivation (and less address space).  It's also
EASIER.  I don't find many homes in the EU that have internet there
24x7.  That means that there's less of a "redo" to do.  Easiest, likely
are areas without as much net prevalence - eg. china and africa.

I recall amazing my coworkers in france (while visiting) in that
I could
1) log into my house from the internet and
2) control lights and read the alarm's motion sensors and such
   (hmmm, motion in living room, then kitchen, She must be awake).

They didn't get, in 1999, why you'd have a computer on all the time
in your house.  Sure, they'd carry a laptop home, but all the time?
(and these were unix guys generally).

I do regularly ask my broadband and Cellular provider when I get
IPv6 addresses.  I've gotten others too as well.  So when PacBell
says nobody brings it up, they lie.

> In a way, the US being the birthplace for the Internet has become a
> major drawback.  There is quite a bit of equipment in North America
> which must be updated to allow us to get IPv6 widely deployed, so I
> think the Pentagon may unfortunately be correct. 8( Add to this the
> fact that companies like MCI/UUNET and others spent quite a bit of
> money for Y2K and do not want to turn around right now to spend more
> on IPv6 to get things converted, and I think we may be 2010 or later

I disagree.  Y2k was nearly 4 years ago.  Most of that newly bought
equipment is fully depreciated.  I think that was a big cause of
not much being bought POST y2k (everything is < 2years old, why refresh?).

> before IPv4 goes away in the backbone.  Makes for an interesting
> conversation with my friends who are still working over at UUNET and
> AOL.

I think the backbone is exactly where IPv4 CAN go away most easily.
The edges and inside companies is where IPv6 is likely to be around
for decades.

Me?  My pet desire is to see a tiny IPv6 stack that could easily
be used in embedded devices (< 1MB of RAM).  I can get plenty of
boards that speak IPv4, but 6 means that it's at least more feasable
in itty bitty stupid things (say a controller for an appliance).

And it would help if I could easily run an NFS workstation in a mixed
env using ZERO ipv4.  Windows free is fine; but I can't run 6 only
with a FAITH gateway with most unixes (or OS X).