[6bone] pTLA request by CTN1 - review closes 16 December 2003

Bob Fink bob@thefinks.com
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 13:51:44 -0800

6bone Folk,

I have denied the CTN1 pTLA request as of today. I do wish Marc Gomez and
CTN1 well in providing IPv6 transport to the customers of CTN1, and do hope
Marc will pursue a production prefix from RIPE.

I did not deny this request lightly, and did ask various follow up
questions. I remained concerned about the inability to even reach the CTN1
web site or find a AAAA record in its DNS until today (or at least
intermittently so). In my opinion it is unlikely that CTN1 really provided
all the required services for the full 3 month period required. If we
weren't at the end of 6bone prefix allocation, I would have encouraged Marc
to wait a little longer until he clearly established operational experience
in IPv6 for CTN1 sufficient to qualify for a pTLA. Alas, we are out of time
and no more 6bone pTLA prefixes will be allocated.

Regardless of the cost to acquire production prefixes from the RIRs,
clearly it isn't all that hard as there are almost 500 prefixes allocated
now, more than half (274) of which come from RIPE. Compare this to the
current 123 6bone pTLA prefixes allocated and it is clear that the time for
an early experimental method to distribute IPv6 addresses is past.

I want to thank everyone who has participated in this pTLA review, on both
sides, for your comments.

Thanks,

Bob Fink