[6bone] doubt about protocol independent Ping.

Pim van Pelt pim@ipng.nl
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 08:48:07 +0100

Hi Itojun,

| 	Stevens' book (TCP/IP network programming) has very old description of
| 	protocol independent programming, so do not refer it.  rather, please
| 	refer the following:
| 	http://www.kame.net/newsletter/19980604/
| 	http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/usenix2000/freenix/metzprotocol/

As a sidenote, can you explain what exactly is wrong or inconvenient
with struct addrinfo ? I read the Book[tm] and have developped coding
style to match Stevens' thoughts. I could be easily persuaded to change
my code, but do not see any benefit of the sockaddr_storage yet. There's
already a struct sockaddr in struct addrinfo, along with an ai_family and
ai_addrlen .. so what bonus do I get from sockaddr_storage ?

groet,
Pim

--
Pim van Pelt                 Email: pim@ipng.nl