[6bone] pTLA request by CTN1 - review closes 16 December 2003

Nicolas DEFFAYET nicolas.deffayet@ndsoftware.net
Wed, 03 Dec 2003 12:07:24 +0100

6bone Folk,

On Tue, 2003-12-02 at 21:43, Jeroen Massar wrote:

> Bob Fink wrote:

I reply to this mail because i'm very surprised of the reply of Jeroen.

> Only a few comments:
>
> > CTN1 has requested a pTLA allocation and I find their request fully
> > compliant with RFC2772. The open review period for this
> > closes 16 December
> > 2003. Please send your comments to me or the list.
> >
> >    <http://www.ctn1.com>
>
> 8<---------------------------------------------
> Forbidden
> You don't have permission to access / on this server.
>
> - --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Apache/1.3.27 Server at www.ctn1.com Port 80
> - --------------------------------------------->8
>
> ctn1.net does exist and work apparently

I think that CTN1 will fix this problem shortly.

> > >    1. The pTLA Applicant must have a minimum of three (3) months
> > >        qualifying experience as a 6Bone end-site or pNLA transit.
> > >        During the entire qualifying period the Applicant must be
> > >        operationally providing the following:
> > >
> > >Our IPv6 site is operational since 09 August 2003.
>
> The site object was last changed:
> changed:      mg@ctn1.com 20031118
>
> The person objects all have a changed date of 20031113 or 20031118
> and didn't exist before that apparently.
>
> As for cnt1.net
>
> reg_created:    2003-08-06 09:30:00
> expires:        2004-08-06 09:30:00
> created:        2003-08-06 15:30:01
> changed:        2003-11-03 21:48:20
>
> The ASN was assigned 2003-08-29, thus matching these.

Can you explain me why the pTLA request TOWARDEX
(http://mailman.isi.edu/pipermail/6bone/2003-December/008145.html) have
the same thing and you don't reply to their pTLA request ?

"TOWARDEX established 6bone connectivity since June of 2003."

ipv6-site:    TOWARDEX
origin:       AS30071

ASNumber:   30071
ASName:     ASN-TBONE
ASHandle:   AS30071
Comment:
RegDate:    2003-07-15
                 ^^ 07 = July
Updated:    2003-07-15

Please deal all pTLA request identicaly.

> ctn1.com is from 2003-04-25 according to whois.

I see no thing about that in RFC2772.

> IPv4 addresses for the 'servers' where assigned 20030825.
> I wonder how operational they where, but alas...

I see no thing about that in RFC2772.

You have the right to use new IPv4 address.

CTN1 have a native IPv6 connexion, so there isn't IPv4 address on the
link.

> > >        a. Fully maintained, up to date, 6Bone Registry entries for their
> > >           ipv6-site inet6num, mntner, and person objects, including each
> > >           tunnel that the Applicant has.
> > >
> > >http://whois.6bone.net/cgi-bin/whois?CTN1
> > >

> > >       b. Fully maintained, and reliable, BGP4+ peering and connectivity
> > >           between the Applicant's boundary router and the appropriate
> > >           connection point into the 6Bone. This router must be IPv6
> > >           pingable. This criteria is judged by members of the 6Bone
> > >           Operations Group at the time of the Applicant's pTLA request.
> > >
> > >Our ASN is 29402.
> > >We have an IPv6 native Gigabit connexion to FNIX6.
> > >NDSoftware (AS25358) provide us IPv6 transit through FNIX6.
>
> Only one peer?

Many peering partner require a pTLA or a sTLA for peer.

> > >       c. Fully maintained DNS forward (AAAA) and reverse (ip6.int)
>
> These should be ip6.arpa really really soon.

soon != now

> > >           entries for the Applicant's router(s) and at
> > least one host
> > >           system.
> > >
> > >We have 3 nameservers:
> > >  - ns1.ctn1.net
> > >  - ns2.ctn1.net
>
> 3 nameservers? Listed are two, and of those:
>
> $ host ns1.ctn1.net
> ns1.ctn1.net has address 195.140.140.1
> $ host 195.140.140.1
> Host 1.140.140.195.in-addr.arpa not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
>
> $ host ns2.ctn1.net
> ns2.ctn1.net has address 195.140.141.1
> $ host 195.140.141.1
> Host 1.141.140.195.in-addr.arpa not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
>
> And the guessable third:
>
> $ host ns3.ctn1.net
> ns3.ctn1.net has address 195.140.142.1
> $ host 195.140.142.1
> Host 1.142.140.195.in-addr.arpa not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

It's not required to have IPv4 reverse for DNS server in RFC2772.

> > >       d. A fully maintained, and reliable, IPv6-accessible system
> > >           providing, at a mimimum, one or more web pages, describing the
> > >           Applicant's IPv6 services.  This server must be IPv6 pingable.
> > >
> > >http://www.ctn1.com (all services are ready to use with IPv6)
>
> $ host -t any www.ctn1.com
> www.ctn1.com has address 195.140.143.10
>
> $ host -t any www.ctn1.net
> www.ctn1.net has address 195.140.143.10
> www.ctn1.net has AAAA address 3ffe:4013:2105:1::5
>
> traceroute to www.ctn1.net (3ffe:4013:2105:1::5) from 3ffe:8114:2000:240:290:27ff:fe24:c19f, 30 hops max, 16 byte packets
> <SNIP>
>  5  tun1.cr1.par1.fr.ip.ndsoftware.net (3ffe:4013:f:7::1)  42.028 ms  52.713 ms  41.165 ms
>  6  ctn1-29402.fnix6.net (3ffe:4013:10:1::4)  40.447 ms  41.087 ms  40.71 ms
>  7  ctn1-29402.fnix6.net (3ffe:4013:10:1::4)  3967.01 ms !H
>
> $ ping6 -c 10 3ffe:4013:2105:1::5
> PING 3ffe:4013:2105:1::5(3ffe:4013:2105:1::5) 56 data bytes
> >From 3ffe:4013:10:1::4 icmp_seq=4 Destination unreachable: Address unreachable
> >From 3ffe:4013:10:1::4 icmp_seq=8 Destination unreachable: Address unreachable
> >From 3ffe:4013:10:1::4 icmp_seq=10 Destination unreachable: Address unreachable
>
> - --- 3ffe:4013:2105:1::5 ping statistics ---
> 10 packets transmitted, 0 received, +3 errors, 100% packet loss, time 9092ms
>
> Not reachable?

I think that CTN1 will fix this problem shortly.

> The website only shows a 'hosting' company, no user endpoints or similar.
> I personally wonder for what they need more than the /48 they currently
> already have. If they have a requirement for more space they can request
> that from their sole upstream.
>
> http://www.ctn1.net/reseau.php shows that it isn't being used (yet) either.

I see no thing about traffic requirement in RFC2772.

> > >    2. The pTLA Applicant MUST have the ability and intent to provide
> > >        "production-quality" 6Bone backbone service. Applicants must
> > >        provide a statement and information in support of this claim.
> > >        This MUST include the following:
> > >

> > >       a. A support staff of two persons minimum, three
> > preferable, with
> > >           person attributes registered for each in the
> > ipv6-site object
> > >           for the pTLA applicant.
> > >
> > >RP10-6BONE
> > >MG22-6BONE
> > >BV3-6BONE
> > >
> > >       b. A common mailbox for support contact purposes that
> > all support
> > >           staff have acess to, pointed to with a notify
> > attribute in the
> > >           ipv6-site object for the pTLA Applicant.
> > >
> > >6bone@ctn1.net
>
> $ host -t mx ctn1.com
> ctn1.com mail is handled by 1 mail.ctn1.com.
> $ host -t mx ctn1.net
> ctn1.net mail is handled by 1 mail.ctn1.net.
>
> Only 1 IP, could be balanced, but even then...

It's not required to have many MX records in RFC2772.

> > >    3. The pTLA Applicant MUST have a potential "user community" that
> > >        would be served by its becoming a pTLA, e.g., the
> > Applicant is a
> > >        major provider of Internet service in a region,
> > country, or focus
> > >        of interest. Applicant must provide a statement and
> > information in
> > >        support this claim.
> > >
> > >CTN1 operates an IPv6 Network and provides a lot of IPv6 services to many
> > >projects.
> > >We provide: Usenet Provider, Email provider and Hosting Provider with dual IPv4 and IPv6.
> > >All IPv6 services is free of charge.
> > >We encourage all people to start a web site and Email server
> > with IPv6.
>
> This looks a lot like the NDSOFTWARE request to me, their 'services'
> have not become available either and even worse, they removed all the
> contact information from the 6bone registry, which only contains 1 person
> now. But the director of NDSOFTWARE can probably explain that part.
> The people that "worked" at NDSOFTWARE have all vanished except for Nico...

Please don't troll on my company.
I respect your project Sixxs, don't forget that we provide our routes to
your route-server for help your project, so please respect my company
NDSoftware.

> Btw it is allowed, certainly in 6bone space to assign more than a single
> /48 to a 'downstream', maybe they could use address space from NDSOFTWARE?

> It also seems that that will be their sole 'gigabit' uplink.

It's not a uplink, it's a link to an Internet exchange point. You can
have many upstream on the same physical link.

> Personally, mainly also because of the last reason I don't see why they
> would require a pTLA. A couple of /48's would do just fine for a webhoster.
> And they can get enough space from their 'upstream'.

Please check previous pTLA request, a lot of request didn't respect
fully the RFC2772 (only one contact, unassigned/reserved ASN, no real
project,...).
There was a pTLA allocated with a unassigned/reserved ASN.

=>> Please deal all pTLA request identicaly. <<=

Best Regards,

--
Nicolas DEFFAYET, NDSoftware
NDSoftware IP Network: http://www.ip.ndsoftware.net/