[6bone] pTLA request by CTN1 - review closes 16 December 2003

Pekka Savola pekkas@netcore.fi
Tue, 2 Dec 2003 22:13:54 +0200 (EET)

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Bob Fink wrote:
> CTN1 has requested a pTLA allocation and I find their request fully
> compliant with RFC2772. The open review period for this closes 16 December
> 2003. Please send your comments to me or the list.
>
>    <http://www.ctn1.com>
>
> This may be the last 6bone pTLA allocation made as the phaseout plan
> specifies no new pTLA allocations after the end of this year. Thus if
> anyone is expecting to request a pTLA, the request must be sent to me no
> later than 5 December to allow enough review and approval time prior to 31
> December.

I do not believe this application fulfills the criteria for 2) or 3).
In particular, CTN1 is clearly a web/server-hosting company; this is
not backbone operations:

 2. The pTLA Applicant MUST have the ability and intent to provide
        "production-quality" 6Bone backbone service. [...]

and:

    3. The pTLA Applicant MUST have a potential "user community" that
        would be served by its becoming a pTLA, e.g., the Applicant is a
        major provider of Internet service in a region, country, or focus
        of interest. Applicant must provide a statement and information in
        support this claim.

There was an answer to the latter, but it did not answer the real
question, how would the user community be served by its becoming a
*pTLA*.  Sure, it's nice to give access to the users, but that can be
done as an end-site as well, as is currently being done.

I'd strongly object to granting this pTLA request.