[6bone] Nothing is sacred...

Dean Strik dean@ipnet6.org
Sun, 17 Aug 2003 00:11:44 +0200

Rik van Riel wrote:
> Unfortunately we have a problem.  Different MTAs do their ipv6
> DNSBL queries differently.
>
> Lets take the address 2001:4321::1 as an example, since it doesn't
> seem to exist and it's really short when typed forwards.
>
> Exim would query:
> 1.(many zeros).1.2.3.4.1.0.0.2.dnsbl.example.org
> Zmailer would query:
> 1.(many zeros).1.2.3.4.1.0.0.2.ip6.dnsbl.example.org
>
> I have no idea what the other MTAs would query.  I think we
> should standardise on one way to do lookups, so the ipv6
> DNSBLs would actually work...

Agreed.

> Personally I prefer the zmailer version, since it allows one
> dnsbl setting in the MTA configuration to catch both ipv4 and
> ipv6 dnsbl content without any ambiguity.  Yes, I know 2.0.0.0/8
> is currently reserved, but I'm not comfortable relying on that.

Agreed.

It is my intention to add support for DNSBL queries for IPv6 clients to
Postfix soon. I hope something will come out of this before that.
Otherwise I'll probably use the .ip6. subdomain.

I'm very interested in what other MTAs use.

--
Dean C. Strik             Eindhoven University of Technology
dean@stack.nl  |  dean@ipnet6.org  |  http://www.ipnet6.org/