[6bone] Corporation wishing to get connected to the new v6 Internet

Matt.Carpenter@alticor.com Matt.Carpenter@alticor.com
Tue, 5 Aug 2003 09:02:52 -0400

--=_alternative 0047FB5985256D79_=

Thank you all for this education.

I think I'm getting the picture to come in a little clearer now.  So v6 is
running over the same physical network as v4.  I knew this was possible
but wasn't sure how it was implemented.  The 6bone, although sounding like
"backbone" is really the v6 version of the ARPA-net 10.x.x.x address-space
which is no longer in public use.  The 6bone address-space is made up of
some large and many small "pockets", which are currently interconnected
largely through 6to4 tunnels through the v4-Internet.  The 6bone is NOT,
to clear one of my myths, a "v6 Internet" which is all v6 throughout the
world, with all of its own links and interconnections (ie. it's not like
another Internet2 which has separate layers 1 and 2, but only lives at
layer 3+).

There is also new address-space available (specifically in the 2001::
network as offered by he.net), which operates very much like the "6bone
network", but is simply different addressing.  Routing between 6bone
(3ffe::/16) and this new address-space works as if they were not different
at all.  The only difference is that the 6bone address space will be
phased out over the next several years, a clerical difference.

How's that sound to everyone?

Now how do we obtain AS numbers for the new v6 Internet?

Thanks again!
Matt