[6bone] 6bone] List of IPv6 compatible Windows programs? Degree of support in the most popular Linux distributions?

Jeroen Massar jeroen@unfix.org
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 16:03:33 +0100

Anssi Porttikivi <anssi.porttikivi@teleware.fi> wrote:

> Has anyone compiled list of MS and non-MS Windows programs, that work
with IPv6 on XP? Do they understand style [::] addresses? How do they do
address selection between 4 and 6? Always use the first one returned by
the DNS?

[::] are out in anything XP/.Net on Windows. There is an RFC about this,
but I am not sure which.
Hosts should be addressed by there hostname, not by IP.
Yes, I know an exception would be for management and yes the patch is
coming up for PuTTY to allow it, I've also been busy patching it up so
that it finally can fall back to IPv4.

> If all wininet.dll using programs work automatically with proper
address selection and DNS calls, how come XP IPv6 docs only mentions IE,
ftp, telnet, Network Monitor & other utilities...? How about Office
programs? Other MS Programs?

*any* program using wininet.dll automatically gets IPv6 support,
which is quite neat, and yes, even WinAmp's browser understands it then
:)
I also have seen some other programs which automatically use IPv6
because of that.
Only problem is that many application developers need to be made aware
of
the possibility of IPv6, eg Mozilla doesn't do IPv6 on Windows :(
And for Apache2 one still needs seperate patches even though they claim
to support IPv6 on all platforms that have IPv6.

Windows.Net will support most default applications with IPv6 out of the
box.
But to be sure ask it on: msripv6-users@list.research.microsoft.com
And check http://www.microsoft.com/ipv6/

I also hope that Outlook will start supporting IPv6 soon(tm)

> How about Linux distributions? What are the IPv6-ready packages in
RedHat 8? Debian Woody?

Debian has a special IPv6 aware project: http://debian.fabbione.net
I don't know about Redhat though, it's not my kind of thing :)

And for all of the above check: http://hs247.com which contains many
links ;)

Greets,
 Jeroen