[6bone] About 6Bone (fwd)

John Fraizer tvo@EnterZone.Net
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 15:46:45 -0500 (EST)

On 30 Oct 2002, Nicolas DEFFAYET wrote:

> On Wed, 2002-10-30 at 20:37, John Fraizer wrote:
> >
> > To: tvo@EnterZone.Net
> > Subject: About 6Bone
> >
> > Hi,
> > As the owner of the computer used for the email sent to the 6bone about
> > Mister Deffayet I just want to say that before this email there were 21
> > accounts on this computer. Now the are 20 accounts.
> > I won't say who made this, but can you please specify on the mailing
> > list that i am *not* the author of this email ? Mr Deffayet is getting
> > enough on my nerves right now, I just don't want to have more issues
> > with him.
> > Thank you.
> >
> > --
> > Irvin Probst
>
> Irvin Probst is the responsible of 62.4.22.131, he must prove that he is
> not the author.
> It's too easy for him to say that he is not the author...

Nicolas,

Don't get me wrong, it was childish and stupid for the author of the
original email to have sent it, and cowardly to attempt to hide behind a
hotmail account while doing so.

That said, there was no crime involved and it the content, beyond being
childish, was actually quite humerous.

Irvin doesn't have to *prove* _ANYTHING_ to me, to you or to the 6bone
list participants.

How do you know that I didn't hack into Irvins box and post the email, an
then track MYSELF down (it's easier that way!), exposing the source to the
list to throw you all off from thinking it was me?

Of course, I didn't do that.  If *I* were going to do something like that,
I'd post it from your machine at wks1.fr.corp.ndsoftware.com.  Don't
*for-a-second* think that your NAT is anything more than security by
obscurity.

Anyway, the point is that someone was childish.  I tracked them down to
the source.  Both the source and the transit provider for the source have
responded indicating that they have addressed the issue.

It is now a *NON ISSUE*.  (Kinda like your pTLA if my gut feeling is
accurate.)

---
John Fraizer              | High-Security Datacenter Services |
President                 | Dedicated circuits 64k - 155M OC3 |
EnterZone, Inc            | Virtual, Dedicated, Colocation    |
http://www.enterzone.net/ | Network Consulting Services       |