[6bone] Re: pTLA request NDSOFTWARE - review closes 23 October 2002

Abdul Basit basit@basit.cc
Sat, 26 Oct 2002 10:25:21 -0500 (CDT)

Hello Tim Chown,

  I only found Mr. Deffayet helping newbies on ipv6 issues at that time on
irc (#ipv6, #ngc), We required more than a /48 and he provided us
that with BGP peering. NDSOFTWARE was running a router in LA also lacr1.xx
,but due to some reasons they had to shutdown that. We were linked through LA and
not pacr1, NGC was only using pacr1 for backup link at that time.

  It would require a lot of time for person like me (just a student),
if i would approach I2 or something else , in that case first thing I had
to do is to approach local WSU HiPeCC officials , and requst them to consider
my request, then they 'd think about it ( usually take 1+ month to get
their response), then might be they make a proposal ( take 1 more month),
the proposal then 'd be judged by I2 committee( take usually 1-2 months)
then 'd a response, then university would order apparatus to deploy it on
campus ( usually take 1 month to get the money released from research
dept). then apparatus would come, then config issues would take atleast
10-15 days .. and a whole semster off for just getting things ready,
research is still far away)! (All hypothesis is on one single
assumption, that the local WSU university officials consider IPv6 worth
to deploy at this time).  and i 'll be out of school by the time they
deploy IPv6!.  While because of Mr Deffayet great help, we had IPv6
connectivity within short period that gives us a chance to explore this
new technology, and i still have gigantic things to learn regarding IPv6.
Now is better choice for me to talk with WSU officals about deployment of
IPv6 oncampus for research. cause now i know a little about it and can
easily answer their questions.  That's what i am trying to do now.

  Just to mention , it took almost 3 weeks for me to get the proto 41
allowed for my ipv4 address (156.25.10.125) first from the CS firewall,
then from university main router ACL.

  I understand that going through NDSOFTWARE increase the response time.
But to have something is better than having nothing. Hope you understand
my point! AFAIK at that time freenet6 and he.net only provides a /48 (i
doubt even if they provide BGP peering or not, i think he.net does).

  I appolgize for being far away from main topic! but i'd just like to
mention the real facts that being as a student one face when he/she try to
do something and the officials / professors don't agree with him !

  This post has nothing to deal with Mr Deffayet's pTLA requests though.
but infact i try to clear some issues about Mr Deffayet, as some person
claims that  Mr Deffayet follow his own rules, I am speaking my behalf
that i had no issue with him.

Take care !
- basit

Graduate student
Dept. Of Computer science
Wichita state university
http://basit.cc
http://ip6.basit.cc

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002, Tim Chown wrote:

> Hmm, so your IPv6 upstream is 4,000+ miles away on a different continent,
> through presumably 10-15 IPv4 hops?  Interesting :)
>
> I assume the I2 folks would be more than happy to give you connectivity
> that would not involve your IPv6 traffic to other US universities going
> twice across the pond.
>
> Tim

< snip rest of my orig. mesg>