Toning it down. Re: [6bone] FAQ about pTLA request NDSOFTWARE - review closes 23 October 2002

Chuck Yerkes chuck+6bone@snew.com
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 14:21:16 -0700

Intended generally, to the participants in this discussion:

I'll happily allow that M. DEFFAYET does not use English as his
first language and suggest that highlighting slight misuses of it
is not acceptable in this review phase; instead, asking for and
dealing with the requests and information contained within the words
is appropriate.

Let's re-elevate the discussion back to a civil level without taking
language and the lack of nuance in email into it.

That said, I have a couple thoughts, first being that being a website
hosting/design company that ONLY serves IPv6 would seem a tad
premature to offer with any hope of success.

The next thought being that I too have a CoLo'd machine and one
that, until last friday, was at home on a static IP address.  A
move blew the latter situation apart.

I never felt a real need for multiple IP addresses at the Colo
machine, though it does provide tunnels and IPSec endpoints for
several people.  I've gotten on just fine with a fairly small
allocation.

I'd much rather have upstream ISPs route my once portable Class C
(24 bit is useless these days).

A pTLA never seemed justified except in the lab, where a fictional
one (blocked at the router) was used to learn a bit about some of
the capabilities of some software and hardware tools we were playing
with.

I've not seen anything to justify a pTLA; where folks I know a
Motorola (one of the larger networks on the planet) and the like
certain DO justify it.

Thank you,
chuck

Quoting John Fraizer (tvo@EnterZone.Net):