Cisco performance [Re: [6bone] pTLA request NDSOFTWARE - review closes 23 October 2002]

Pekka Savola pekkas@netcore.fi
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 10:30:40 +0300 (EEST)

Hello,

To clarify on the list:

I redid the testing w/ ttcp a bit more carefully and I observed that of
7200, 7500 and GSR, the GSR is the slowest platform, capable of only the
stated 26 Mbit/s (in practise, a bit less due to packet drops: we are able
to get a constant 13 Mbit/s TCP stream through it). This should be fixed
with EFT code using CEFv6, but we weren't able to test that.  7500 with
CEFv6 is able to perform at full rate on FastEthernet, and on production
software a bit less than that: at least 50 Mbit/s should still yield
acceptable packet drop levels.

So, the situation is not as bad as first observed (and in all honesty, not
everybody needs to have 10+ Mbit/s grade throughput yet :-), even though
GSR performing worst with production-level features was a bit surprising.

(With "production software" here I mean any publicly available software...
whether it's usable in "production environment" is always a judgment call
:-)

Pekka