[6bone] Re: IPv6-only IXP's are absolutely wrong

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer@gitoyen.net
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 21:24:35 +0200

On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 10:46:31PM +0100,
 Tim Chown <tjc@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote
 a message of 15 lines which said:

> > <pedantic>You can always go through an existing LIR. Gitoyen could certainly do it, even if I find the idea of an IPv6-only IXP absolutely wrong.</pedantic>
> I'm curious as to why you think this?

Because of two reasons, one temporary and the other more permanent.

1) There is very few actual IPv6 traffic <troll>and it is mostly
ICMP</troll>. Setting up an IXP and making people pay to connect
(unless it is located in a well-populated data center), just for this
small amount of traffic, seems a financial mistake.

2) Most IXP work at level 2. They are a (several) switch(es) and a set of IP
addresses. Since IPv4 and IPv6 can happily coexist on the same network
(like we all do on our links), I see no reason to set up two different IXP.

> Is the UK6X heading down the wrong path?

I believe so, but I will ask the same question: why do you set up an
IPv6-only <nicolas>a real IPv6 IXP</nicolas> exchange point?