[6bone] pTLA request NDSOFTWARE - review closes 23 October 2002

Gert Doering gert@space.net
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 17:43:48 +0200

Hi,

On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 04:08:41PM +0200, Arien Vijn wrote:
> In the APNIC region RIR/NIRs are "critical infrastructure" and therefore are
> eligible for a /32. See:
>
> http://www.ripe.net/ripe/meetings/archive/ripe-43/presentations/ripe43-plena
> ry-apnic/sld024.html

Yes, I've seen that presentation.  I consider that whole thing hilarious -
in my opinion, the only thing that is "criticial infrastructure" enough
to warrant fixed, permanent, "personal" IP addresses are root DNS servers.

The RIPE members have voted against introducing "golden space" in the v4
world a couple of times, and (IIRC) also did so for v6.

What's so special (technically) about a RIR/NIR's network?  Yes, there's
a whois server, and a web server.  But why is it more critical for the
whole internet than, say, "www.google.com"?  I'd consider the latter far
more important for the majority of internet users.

(As for the IXP address space: tricky.  I'm sure we've had this discussion
in person before, and I just have a different opinion - the DECIX runs
well with non-routeable IXP space, while the INXS runs well on C&W space)

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  48282  (47686)

SpaceNet AG                 Mail: netmaster@Space.Net
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14   Tel : +49-89-32356-0
80807 Muenchen              Fax : +49-89-32356-299