[6bone] pTLA request NDSOFTWARE - review closes 23 October 2002

Arien Vijn arien+6bone@ams-ix.net
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 16:08:41 +0200

On 20-10-2002 14:19PM, "Jeroen Massar" <jeroen@unfix.org> wrote:

> Gert Doering [mailto:gert@space.net] wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 10:49:50PM +0200, Jeroen Massar wrote:
>>> getting that space. Notez bien that even RIPE can't request
>> space from
>>> thereselves as they are not a LIR. Odd rules in a odd world.
>>
>> The rules are not that odd.
>>
>> The RIPE NCC network is not "special" in any way requiring
>> their own /32.
>>
>> If we have rules that deny "normal companies" their /32 and urge them
>> to go to their upstreams, this rule has to be applied to all (!)
>> end sites equally.  From a network perspective, the RIPE NCC is an
>> *end site*.  They are not an ISP, they don't do *LIR* functions, so
>> they don't qualify for an sTLA - and technicallywise, they
>> don't *need*
>> one either.
>
> That's what I meant to express. They do have political reasons though.
> And as most people know politics are not nice. Also it's good
> to see that RIPE doesn't bend the rules even because they deal
> the space out.

In the APNIC region RIR/NIRs are "critical infrastructure" and therefore are
eligible for a /32. See:

http://www.ripe.net/ripe/meetings/archive/ripe-43/presentations/ripe43-plena
ry-apnic/sld024.html

APNIC explicitly excluded IXPs as critical infrastructure. That is
questionable. But a good argument for this exclusion is that it is pretty
easy to start an "Internet Exchange". Just put a switch in a rack and call
it an Internet Exchange and request "golden" address space.

Please note that I do not say that Nicolas is just setting up an "IXP" to
get address resources. I am curious why NDSoftware/FN6IX is not requesting
space under RIPE-256 though.

To solve the neutrality issues, AMS-IX decided to put serious efforts in a
proper multi homing solution. We think (hope) that this approach will be a
much more positive contribution to the Internet than arguing the
criticalness of an IXP.

Kind regards, Arien

--

Arien Vijn