[6bone] pTLA request NDSOFTWARE - review closes 23 October 2002

Jeroen Massar jeroen@unfix.org
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 14:19:19 +0200

Gert Doering [mailto:gert@space.net] wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 10:49:50PM +0200, Jeroen Massar wrote:
> > getting that space. Notez bien that even RIPE can't request
> space from
> > thereselves as they are not a LIR. Odd rules in a odd world.
>
> The rules are not that odd.
>
> The RIPE NCC network is not "special" in any way requiring
> their own /32.
>
> If we have rules that deny "normal companies" their /32 and urge them
> to go to their upstreams, this rule has to be applied to all (!)
> end sites equally.  From a network perspective, the RIPE NCC is an
> *end site*.  They are not an ISP, they don't do *LIR* functions, so
> they don't qualify for an sTLA - and technicallywise, they
> don't *need*
> one either.

That's what I meant to express. They do have political reasons though.
And as most people know politics are not nice. Also it's good
to see that RIPE doesn't bend the rules even because they deal
the space out.

Thanks for clearing me up.

Greets,
 Jeroen