[6bone] pTLA request NDSOFTWARE - review closes 23 October 2002

Tim Chown tjc@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 19:18:30 +0100

On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 07:15:28PM +0200, Nicolas DEFFAYET wrote:

> We have 101 BGP4+ peer, our current routers are full (zebra is very
> unstable if i add new peer) and we want get new peer with other
> pTLA/sTLA that we can't get with our old private ASN.

So how many of these 101 BGP peerings are on direct native links?

I would have thought 5-10 would be more than ample.   It's not a race to see
who can get the most(!)

> TDOI don't provide a lot of tunnels (more than 50) to users, it's for
> that reason that we shutdown your peering.

Tunnels to end users is one thing, the question is more on your infrastructure
peerings to other pTLAs (or SubTLAs, if any would peer with you...)

There are many networks trying to deploy IPv6 with some structure to the
connectivity, removing multi-hop IPv4 tunnels, trying to get a more predictable
IPv6 service, as more people begin to use IPv6 daily.  I'm not sure that any
ISP with 101 BGP peerings is helping that.   Perhaps you can explain your
goals in building these peerings?

Tim