[6bone] IPv6 Transition help

Vivek Shekhar synviv@yahoo.com
Fri, 29 Nov 2002 12:49:23 -0800 (PST)

Hello Group,

I am a Masters' student in Computer Networking at a
University in United States presently working on
migration from IPv4 to IPv6. My project aims at not
only describing these transition mechanisms but also
providing scenarios/cases where one transition
mechanism would be more beneficial than the other with
reasons. Although there are hundreds of links
available for the transition mechanisms there are few
that aid in choosing a specfic mechanism over the
other. Let me give you a more detailed perspective of
what I really want.

>From RFC 2893: The following transition mechanisms are
described

Dual IP layer (also known as Dual Stack):  A technique
for
providing complete support for both Internet protocols
-- IPv4 and
IPv6 -- in hosts and routers.

Configured tunneling of IPv6 over IPv4:
Point-to-point tunnels
made by encapsulating IPv6 packets within IPv4 headers
to carry
them over IPv4 routing infrastructures.

IPv4-compatible IPv6 addresses:  An IPv6 address
format that
      employs embedded IPv4 addresses.

Automatic tunneling of IPv6 over IPv4:  A mechanism
for using
IPv4-compatible addresses to automatically tunnel IPv6
packets
over IPv4 networks.

Now given the above 4 mechanisms, under what scenarios
would u choose one over the other. What factors should
I consider. I have come up with cost,time to process
the packets, complexity etc. Since I do not have nay
industry relevant experience I am banking on this
mailing group to provide me with some helpful
information. Looking forward to your response.

Cheers.