[6bone] Re: RFC 2772 input from RIR space holder

Gert Doering gert@space.net
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 22:26:57 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 07:04:39PM +0000, Tim Chown wrote:
> Again I'm just reporting experience.  I know of NRENs who have not applied
> for 2001: allocations because they do not have 200 customers (universities).
> They should not have to be "creative" to apply; there is no reason why
> an NREN with 60 univesities should not receive a SubTLA.

Seconded, and the discussion on the ipv6-wg/lir-wg mailing lists about
this topic *is* open again.

I'm mainly waiting for some decent proposal that includes NRENs and
major transit-only networks (like NORDunet) but is on the other hand
precise enough to not permit "any single enterprise that claims to
be 'very important'" to get an sTLA.

I wouldn't really mind if every LIR gets one (1) sTLA, but the last
round of discussion has shown that neither the ARIN nor the APNIC
people are willing to accept this very relaxed policy.

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  50279 (49875)

SpaceNet AG                 Mail: netmaster@Space.Net
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14   Tel : +49-89-32356-0
80807 Muenchen              Fax : +49-89-32356-299