[6bone] why there is no checksum in IPv6 header?

Cliff Albert cliff@oisec.net
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 08:27:15 +0100

On Wed, Nov 20, 2002 at 11:19:52AM +0800, navaneetham wrote:

> 	what is the reason IPv6 doesn't have checksum in it's header? if header
> corrupted how this situation will handle by IPv6 router?

The IPv6 router has nothing to do anymore with checksums, they are all
handled in upper layers, so that the router does not have to recalculate
checksums for packets it handles. The checksum will be checked by the
end host and this host will initiate resend mechanisms. If I recall
correctly it has been done to reduce router CPU load.

--
Cliff Albert		| RIPE:	     CA3348-RIPE | http://oisec.net/
cliff@oisec.net		| 6BONE:     CA2-6BONE	 |