[6bone] resolv problem

Jeroen Massar jeroen@unfix.org
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 02:22:30 +0100

Max Gargani wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> maybe this is not the right place or maybe I wrong something but since
> RIPE NCC gave to my company the reverse delegation for the
> allocated /32 ip6.arpa, all protocols such ssh, ircd etc etc, can't
resolve the
> addresses.
>
> From named log I see ssh & co ask to resolve
> i.p.v.6.a.d.d.r.e.s.s.ip6.int but all RIRs allocations are ip6.arpa.

You might start updating your resolver libraries to use ip6.arpa which
now the defacto standard.
Notez bien that only 6bone space (3ffe::/16) isn't delegated to ip6.arpa
(yet).
But that will likely be happing really soon now after some political
issues are burried.

Most _current_ resolver libraries will currently try:
 ip6.arpa.
 ip6.int.
The second one only when the first one fails ofcourse.

Thus you should at least make reverse entries in ip6.arpa and you could
add ip6.int entries.
Ask RIPE NCC to delegate either of them to your dnsservers if you want
so.

Greets,
 Jeroen