[6bone] RFC2772 rewrite

Gert Doering gert@space.net
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 22:29:14 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 12, 2002 at 01:47:44PM -0500, Robert J. Rockell wrote:
> ->* Should we have people running a pTLA next to their RIR space return
> ->their allocation to 6BONE ?
>
> Don't know how to treat this one.  I think it is ok for people to have both.
> Perhaps we could try to push the RIR's to only delegate space if the company
> intends to use it :)

Well, this is one of the criteria for allocating RIR space at all - if
the company intends to allocate 200 /48s to end sites over the next two
years.  (Neither "200" nor "two years" are checked very strictly right
now, but it's the written rule).

[..]
> ->* Should there be any form of Common Sense Peering, eg recommendations
> ->for filtering and tunneling.
>
> Agreed.  Perhaps we should come up with quantitative numbers for tunnel
> latency, AS-hops, etc...  Or should we just use generalized guidelines?  As
> a more militant member of the 6bone, I'd like something quantitative, so we
> can take action when a pTLA violates the rules :)

I'm against hard quantitative rules for something that's constantly changing.

The reason is that things that make sense "today" might be totally
irresponsible "tomorrow" - the tunnel mess is part of that.  Some years
ago it was absolutely necessary to get connectivity, today it's doubtful,
in a few years the tunnels should (hopefully) completely go away.

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
--
Total number of prefixes smaller than registry allocations:  48540  (48282)

SpaceNet AG                 Mail: netmaster@Space.Net
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14   Tel : +49-89-32356-0
80807 Muenchen              Fax : +49-89-32356-299