[6bone] abuse notification (fwd)

Bill Owens owens@nysernet.org
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 16:53:31 -0500

At 16:15 -0500 11/11/02, John Fraizer wrote:
>On Mon, 11 Nov 2002, Pekka Savola wrote:
>  > To me, it indicates a small fraction of our v6 newsfeed traffic.
>
>Pekka, the operative word here is SPIKE.  IE; Out of the ordinary or
>uncharacteristic.

One could imagine that a routing change could redirect someone's v6
newsfeed across a new network that was used to the usual IPv6 traffic
loads (tens of kbps), and cause some suprise. Obviously that was not
the case here, since the other end reported that the packets were
echo requests. But it does make the point that a network operator
used to having almost no v6 traffic might be quite suprised should
they suddenly see even a steady traffic load. The initial reaction
shouldn't be to assume DoS without knowing more about the nature of
the traffic. . .

Bill.