[6bone] best OS for ipv6 router.

Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino itojun@iijlab.net
Sun, 10 Nov 2002 02:17:05 +0900

>Our new routers use FreeBSD 4.7 with KAME.
>
>Why we use now FreeBSD with KAME for our routers:
>
>-> FreeBSD with KAME support routing of IPv6 multicast, Linux with USAGI
>don't support it.
>
>-> FreeBSD is design for do routing and have more routing fonctions,
>with Linux you can get netlink errors with Zebra.
>
>-> FreeBSD is more stable than Linux. (Yesterday our router under Linux
>crashed)
>
>-> FreeBSD with KAME have a better IPv6 support than Linux with USAGI
>
>-> FreeBSD with KAME support IPv6 QoS (ALTQ)
>
>Best Regards,

	note, however, we KAME team DO NOT recommend to run KAME-patched *BSD
	in production environment, as documented in kame README files
	(it has too much experimental stuff = unstable, and KAME tree don't
	follow security alerts issued by *BSD)

	for production use, i'd suggest using stock FreeBSD 4.7.
	(and if there's any problem in 4.7 itself, send bug reports!)

itojun